Sunday, October 19, 2008

Fibromyalgia

I was considering joining this Fibromyalgia Study Group.
I saw a commercial talking about Fibro and they gave
out their phone number and website " IFeelPain.com
Hmmm, maybe that will be the answer. I pulled up the
website and filled out the info on it and waited for
them to call me... A week later they did and we chatted
for awhile and set up an appt. They sent me all the
information that I was supposed to read over and
I needed to bring it back to sign up as one of their
guinee pigs... :^)  It wasn't going to cost me a thing
and at first I thought " WHY NOT " until I started
reading the material... Even though I feel crappy
50% of the time maybe more, depending on the day...
but when they started listing off all of the side effects
weight gain ( I just signed up with Jenny Craig for a
10 week program and just lost 5 pounds in the first
week.... noooo i am not going to take the chance of
weight gain Thank You Very Much ) headaches,
depression, blurry vision, Urinary Tract Infection, 
Stroke, Accidental Injury, Chest Pain, also they claim
You may not get better during the study or you may
get worse.... HELLO..... oh how about this one.....
If you do feel relief and these drugs help you.... 
after being with the program after 3 1/2 months,
they take you off the pills and you are on your own
again... WHAT !!!!!   how crazy does that sound....
I only gave you a FEW of the side effects, but
I am not going to take any chances with this program.

I would love to hear of anyone who is taking any
prescriptions that are actually helping them.  I
am on  Trazadone/Desyrel 50 MG  right now and
am not feeling much difference, but it has only been
a couple weeks.

My husband has been great.... We went to Sleep Train
Mattress Store and ordered a Tempurpedic Bed which
has had great reviews and a few of our relatives swear
by them that it has helped there insomnia and back
pain.   If anybody has one I would love to hear if it
has helped you.

http://www.tempurpedic.com

2 comments:

Brig said...

Hi,

I have been living with FMS since 1991. Have tried all sorts of things. This study concerns me a bit. This drug they are testing is a type of antidepressant that is already being used for FMS. Not everyone gets relief from it. They seem to be heading into the FMS is a depression disorder. Oh, yes, I read the site you spoke of.

Thsi site is a good one, have you read here?

http://www.fibrohope.org/

FMS is now being described as a central nervous system disorder. My doctor pput me on Topamax to prevent migraines. It is a anti-seizure drug. He told me it might help my FMS pain and it did! I was not surpried when the FDA approved the first FMS drug and it is Lyrica, an anti-siezure med. I would have asked to try it if not for the topamax already helping. I also have a lot of help from Soma, a muscle relaxer.

The only other things that help me are knowing my limits and pacing myself, massage and heating pads.

Please look at the site I left if you haven't already. Sorry this was so long! Also sorry you ahve this nasty condition too.

HayLaura said...

Thank you so much for writing. I wrote a follow up blog and hope you will read it. I have seen the side effects to Lyrica and that makes me nervous. I have had so many bad reactions to so many prescriptions that it makes me nervous to try another one. Do you get depressed with these medications.
Anyway, Hope you will read my newest blog and tell me what you think...

Hugs, Laura